Mitch Pronschinske is a Senior Content Analyst at DZone. That means he writes and searches for the finest developer content in the land so that you don't have to. He often eats peanut butter and bananas, likes to make his own ringtones, enjoys card and board games, and is married to an underwear model. Mitch is a DZone Zone Leader and has posted 2576 posts at DZone. You can read more from them at their website. View Full User Profile

Spring 4.0 Looking to JEE 7 and Java 8. Will They Keep Their Edge?

01.17.2013
| 25543 views |
  • submit to reddit

Today we learned that Spring is making a major step in the next iteration of their core framework.  This is what was recently posted on the SpringSource blog as the roadmap for Spring 4.0:

For Spring Framework 4.0, our focus is on emerging enterprise themes in 2013 and beyond:

• First-class support for Java SE 8 based Spring applications:
    language features such as lambda expressions; APIs such as JSR-310 Date and Time
  • Configuring and implementing Spring-style applications using Groovy 2:
    Groovy-based bean definitions; Groovy as the language of choice for an entire app
  • Support for key Java EE 7 technologies:
    including JMS 2.0, JPA 2.1, Bean Validation 1.1, Servlet 3.1, and JCache
  • Enabling WebSocket-style application architectures:
    support for JSR-356 compliant runtimes and related technologies
  • Fine-grained eventing and messaging within the application:
    building on our existing application event and message listener mechanisms
  • Pruning and dependency upgrades:
    removing deprecated features; raising minimum dependencies to Java 6+ etc

-- Juergen Hoeller

SpringSource expects to reach the first milestone for 4.0 in April, with the GA scheduled for the end of the year.  If you've got some burning questions for the SpringSource devs, you should probably attend the tail end of one of these webinars, where they'll discuss 4.0:

Does it seem like Spring is very determined to keep its edge with the departure of Rod Johnson last year?  Are they on pace to be the preferred framework for enterprise Java?

Recent articles on the Java EE vs. Spring debate:

Your Chance to Shape Java EE 7
Spring vs Java EE: What People Forget About Spring

Comments

Reza Rahman replied on Thu, 2013/01/17 - 3:18pm

I don't think there is anything wrong with Spring adopting Java EE or Java SE technologies (or have that be the major theme of a given release). Despite the silly, unproductive flame wars, there has always been two way adoption of ideas between Spring and Java EE. In fact SpringSource was a contributor to various Java EE 7 JSRs, most notably Java Batch.

At the end of the day, greater competetion/coexistance is good for the Java community, as long as things are on a fair, healthy basis.

We certainly wish Spring and SpringSource all the best now and in the future...

All views voiced are my own, not necessarily Oracle's.

Rueben Geronimo replied on Thu, 2013/01/17 - 3:27pm

is it possible to watch the recent webinar? I missed the webinar this morning

Mitch Pronschinske replied on Thu, 2013/01/17 - 5:52pm in response to: Rueben Geronimo

I think SpringSource publishes their webinars on their youtube channel a few days after. I would keep an eye out for the video.

Otengi Miloskov replied on Thu, 2013/01/17 - 8:56pm

SpringSource/Spring is going in the right track as always. Rod even now is not with the Spring team he still uses Spring and still supporting it, well he created it so even Rod is doing another things he will be always be with Spring.

Java EE 7  is awesome spec and both Spring and Java EE are in the right track. The only thing I cant stand of the Java EE spec is JSF. I would love that they add something more lightweight and stateless as Spring MVC for the presentation. I dont like any more much the component based frameworks, I had lots of problems with those. I like more stateless mvc web frameworks. Thats why I use more Spring because in one package I have the best of the best, Spring Data with JPA is awesome, Spring Core DI , Spring MVC, SpringSecurity is very easy to use and proved.

Without Spring I would not do Java/Enterprise/Web development.

Reza Rahman replied on Thu, 2013/01/17 - 10:28pm in response to: Otengi Miloskov

Thanks for the kind words on Java EE 7.

You can of course use frameworks like Struts 2 with CDI on the Java EE stack (as well as Wicket, etc). There is some consideration of adding an action-oriented web framework to Java EE that would be more JavaScript/HTML 5 friendly. It was named JAX-RS MVC and was initially proposed for Java EE 7 but later widthdrawn largely due to time contraints. If there is a compelling need, it could be re-introduced for Java EE 8. In the meanwhile, JSF seems to be doing quite well on it's own right. If there are specific feedback items on JSF, helpful comments are most welcome on the JSF 2.2 spec. I have used JSF extensively myself and certainly prefer it over alternatives (and I have used both Struts and Spring MVC).

We don't actually see much value in Spring Data/JPA (seems like a redundant abstraction over an already pretty streamlined API). However, if others really see value it is easy to create a similar CDI based solution under DeltaSpike. The Java EE answer to DI is of course CDI. As to security, developers have a choice to use their application server's security framework over Java Security/JAAS/JASPIC (such as Resin Security) or a portable CDI based solution like Seam Security.

Hope that helps.

All views voiced are my own, not necessarily Oracle's.

Otengi Miloskov replied on Fri, 2013/01/18 - 9:32am in response to: Reza Rahman

Struts 2 is kinda ugly, I prefer too JSF 2 than Struts 2. I could use Spring MVC with CDI but I feel is more natural to couple it with Spring Core and other modules.

Reza, I would love to see JAX-RS MVC. I like MVC(Action Frameworks) because as you said are more JavaScript/HTML 5 friendly. JSF 2 is not bad and  use it with stateless bean but I had some problems integrate it with Javascript.

Also the style of the controller I like a lot as the ASP.Net MVC or Rails so My style of controller usually is with Spring MVC as next:

@Controller class HelloController {

@RequestMapping(method = RequestMethod.GET)
    public String index(Model model) {
        model.addAttribute("hello", "Hello World!");
        return "/hello/index";
    }
}

Reza Rahman replied on Fri, 2013/01/18 - 10:23am

Not sure if you already know this or not, but PrimeFaces makes it a lot easier to work with JQuery, backbone.js and JSF (that's what I did for my most recent JSF project). The new pass-through components in JSF 2.2 should make things easier too. It is however a very fair point that action oriented framework are more JavaScript/HTML5 friendly for the simple fact that they do not manipulate the HTTP request/response cycle as much (and thus offer less of an abstraction but more verbosity/low-level code).

All views voiced are my own, not necessarily Oracle's.

Adrian Meredith replied on Tue, 2013/01/22 - 5:31am

We started off using jsf2, I really like the programming style, its very easy to understand (love composite components).  Unfortunately its the quality of the referrence implementation has really let it down (so many bugs) and also the fact that it requires loads of bandwidth (almost 2.5 MB for fetching 250 results).  We now use the awesome jaxrs with ember (and some jsf but thatss slowly being removed).

Glad Spring are coming back into the fold more yet still innovating, it helps everyone.  Really looking forward to jee7

Reza Rahman replied on Tue, 2013/01/22 - 12:24pm in response to: Adrian Meredith

For concerns with bugs and performance, it is very useful to enter JIRA issues on the Mojarra  project. Ed and his team are usually on top of Mojarra code quality.

Personally, I have developed fairly significant applications with both Mojarra and MyFaces and can't say there were any siginifacant issues with bugs or performance, so it would be good to know what the particulars in your case where (I'm sure Ed would want to know as well).

All views voiced are my own, not necessarily Oracle's.

Ant Kutschera replied on Wed, 2013/01/23 - 6:14am

You can make JSF stateless by adding this to web.xml: <br/>

<context-param>
    <param-name>javax.faces.STATE_SAVING_METHOD</param-name>
    <param-value>client</param-value>
  </context-param>
And then just use @RequestScoped beans and no session beans.  Security still relies on a session, so if the server goes down you might have to log in again, but I can live with that.  I seem to have to periodically log into my Google account too, after all.  Application state can be stored in a cache server or database, as it is in all the other stateless frameworks.<br/><br/>Or have I missed something?

Valery Shishkin replied on Wed, 2013/01/23 - 7:49am

I wonder why no one discusses Groovy. Especially Groovy 2.1 where even DSL may be typechecked (recap Play 2 flame).

Dapeng Liu replied on Thu, 2013/01/24 - 11:50am

don't get it why ppl are still generating "html" on server ... js+rest get the job done well in most of the cases

Momo Singh replied on Tue, 2013/06/04 - 7:34am

Please add reliable good information that would help others in such  way.This post is exactly what I am interested. we need some more good information.  Web Design New York

Mike Lurset replied on Thu, 2013/07/18 - 4:27am

SpringSource expects to reach the first milestone for 4.0 in April, with the GA scheduled for the end of the year. If you've got some burning questions blue cross medicare phoenix az

Mike Lurset replied on Thu, 2013/07/18 - 7:00am

Does it seem like Spring is very determined to keep its edge with the departure of Rod Johnson last year? acupuncture lupus

Noel Padzinza replied on Wed, 2013/10/02 - 11:16pm

I agree with Reza Rahman, its actually a good thing that Spring is adopting Java EE or Java SE technologies. Its good for the Java community. I believe it will even grow the community and who knows what greater benefits will come out of it. At Webapp we are actually trying to implement Java frameworks in our core development processes. Will just watch and see the outcome. Noel@ web design company

Sathish Gurumoorthy replied on Thu, 2014/01/16 - 2:45am

I would rather prefer JSF spec improved to be more friendly with HTML5 & REST than having JS/HTML5 + REST. It all went long way from using messy javascript language to JSP taglib to component based JSF but now focus back on JS MVC. It not just opens up for messy presentation tier but also adds client payload.

Michael White replied on Mon, 2014/01/20 - 2:55am

Spring 4.0 is a milestone. After nearly four years the spring 3.0 was upgraded version 4. wedding website

Comment viewing options